- French IGCSE - CIE 7156, 9-1
- German IGCSE - CIE 7159, 9-1
- Spanish IGCSE - CIE 7160, 9-1
- Mandarin Chinese GCSE - AQA 8673, 9-1
Through the study of modern languages, you will understand and appreciate other cultures and peoples. You will enjoy exploring similarities and differences and relating these to your own experience. Studying languages is as important as ever in the modern world and the Stephen Perse Foundation has a long tradition of success in language learning. If you wish to study languages at university, to use them at work, to travel, having two languages at GCSE is a definite advantage.
The Modern Languages Department offers the opportunity to take two languages to IGCSE/GCSE. In Years 10 and 11 you will consolidate the basic structures of language that you have learned and develop your communication skills, discussing topics such as health, travel, the environment around you and hobbies. The teachers place importance on the teaching of grammar and accuracy both in speaking and in written work, and on the customs and culture of the countries, comparing them with our own.
Exchanges, study visits and activities such as Les Joutes Oratoires are arranged during the course. This experience strengthens your knowledge of the language, increases your confidence in speaking and raises your awareness of the culture. We consider these visits to be a most beneficial and worthwhile experience.
The four key skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking are assessed at the end of Year 11 and each paper carries 25% of the final mark.
- The listening paper lasts 45 minutes and students listen to a number of recordings and answer multiple-choice and matching questions.
- The reading paper lasts 1 hour. Students read a number of texts and answer multiple-choice and matching questions as well as questions requiring short answers.
- The speaking test is conducted by a member of staff and lasts 10 minutes. Students complete one role play and conversations on two topics
- The writing paper lasts 1 hour and students complete one form-filling task, one directed writing task and one task in the format of an email/letter or article/blog
The four key skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking are assessed and all papers are equally weighted at 25%.
- The listening paper lasts 45 minutes and students listen to a number of recordings and answer multiple-choice and short written answer questions in English.
- The reading paper lasts 1 hour. Students read a number of texts and answer questions in English or non- verbally. There is also a short translation from Chinese to English.
- The speaking test is conducted by a member of staff and lasts 12 minutes. Students complete one role play, a photocard description and general conversation. It is recorded and externally marked.
- The writing paper lasts 1 hour 15 minutes and consists of 1 structured writing task (75 characters), an open-ended task (125 characters) and a translation from English to Chinese.
Guten Tag! Bonjour!
¡Buenos Días! 你好!
ANTIBES FRENCH STUDY TRIP 2019
CARTAGENA SPANISH TRIP 2019
GERMAN EXCHANGE TO MUNICH 2019
Group trip to the salt mines on the German exchange to Munich
You get a Brezel every morning!
STUDY TRIP TO CHINA OCTOBER 2018 (bi-annual trip - next one October 2020)